Rumen Petkov, MP from Coalition for Bulgaria: The BSP Chairman needs to be chosen through direct elections
- Автор: Borislav Mihaylov
- Date: 28.3.2012
- Views: 510
- Mr. Petkov, recently the Chairman of the BSP, Sergei Stanishev, stated that since 2009, the Party has received multiple proposals from GERB to form a coalition government, while all of them have been unofficial. Would you say something more on that topic?
- I am surprised to some extent by this statement of the BSP (Bulgarian Socialist Party) Chairman. I have no such impressions since it is rather visible that GERB (Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party) is striving to insult and humiliate our party.
The question posed by you is actually very serious and it must be answered by Sergei Stanishev himself. This issue, this topic must be considered by the governing bodies of our Party because analysis is needed on such probable proposals, which must detect their real purpose, motives and conceptual content. Because once an allegation is reported to the media, it becomes certainly news, but we have to see what lies behind it.
- The question has its own projection for the future - whether and under what conditions the left-wing party would rule with GERB?
- It is important for the BSP to assess its coalition format. This is a matter of fairness in order not to keep in suspense our partners from the Coalition for Bulgaria. I am not hiding that part of them share with me their worries and concerns. Over the recent years, the meetings of the Advisory Board of the Coalition are too sparse, which I repeat once again - provokes concerns in our partners. If at the previous local elections our party gained different results in 7 municipalities only, then at the vote in 2011 this happened at much more places. Obviously, the result was due to the lack of dialog and the desire to find the general, good, beneficial solutions for the population in these municipalities.
In fact, the BSP Chairman is the one responsible for the Coalition's policy. I find it difficult to comment in detail because I have not been dealing with it for more than two years now. However it is very important to asses the current format of Coalition for Bulgaria. And secondly, in May the BSP congress must outline also one framework of policies, which the party should firmly pursue.
Otherwise, the topical issue of coalition with GERB will become absolutely untenable and it is impossible to be discussed seriously.
- You already mentioned the upcoming BSP Congress ... Having declared that he would run for a BSP leader, Georgi Parvanov launched the idea that the BSP chairman should not be elected by the Congress, but rather via direct election by all party members. Which option you think is more reasonable?
- Even disregarding the political experience of Greece and other European social democracies, there will be still at least two very strong arguments now in favor of conducting direct election of the new BSP chairman.
The first motive is related to the BSP status and opportunities of the party's mobilisation. It is no secret that BSP is in bad, not to say in poor organisational condition.
The second motive concerns questions raised by some of the leadership members relating to the actual number of individual municipal party organisations. One of the ways for the latter to be counted, roughly speaking, is the direct election of the new BSP chairman. This will reassure the party members that they are involved in the key decision-making process.
I think that the direct election of the BSP chairman would be very useful and very powerful solution. It is not true that there are statutory constraints. On May 19, the Congress will decide on the statute amendment introducing the direct election of the new BSP chairman next Saturday.
No comments to this article. Add the first one.
- Georgi Dimov: I do not exclude possibility of Turkey applying death penalty on already convicted people
- Professor Boyan Durankev: Bulgaria remains with traditionally low growth, budget deficit, which does not guarantee long-term success for the economy
- Bulgaria PM required concrete schedule for lifting visas for Canada at a meeting with Canadian delegation
- Bulgarian Interior Minister: You can feel more relaxed, going to the sea
- Bulgarian tourism minister : The inspections indicate thath the umbrella and lounges prices range between 2 and 10 lev
- President Erdoğan convinces Bulgarian foreign minister to quit smoking at NATO Warsaw Summit
- Minister Meglena Kuneva: We are discussing new later dates for national external evaluation
- Bulgarian expert Mihail Konstantinov: European leaders have too little time to rescue the EU
- President Rosen Plevneliev: We want Bulgaria to become preferred outsourcing destination for French companies
- Gas internationalization in all directions
- To Chicago and beyond - the great Bulgarian bagpipe voyage
- Bulgarian Socialist Party’s National Council held its first sitting
- Bulgaria marks Baba Marta Day
- Ангел Симеонов: АНГЕЛ
- Scandal with the Prokopiev's Disgraceful Clique ! Five Year Prison Threatens His Right Hand Yovo Nikolov for the sake of the EUR 2 M Palace.
- The Prokopiev's right-hand got involved in another scandal! The journalist Yovo Nikolov from "Capital" has concreted over the sea coast with a property of over EUR 2 million.
- 30 000 New Software Specialists to be Trained in Bulgaria Until 2030
- Unemployment in Bulgaria marks year-over-year decline
- 25% of Bulgarians will be able to spend almost no money on forthcoming holidays
- Bulgaria and Turkey to build up gas interconnector
- Greek business opens over 40,000 new jobs here, president says
- Overnight Stays in Bulgarian Hotels Rise 3.7% Y/Y in October
- Restrictions of competition on wholesale market of electricity ceased
- Final decision on gas interconnector between Bulgaria and Greece signed
- Bulgaria’s export within EU grows by over 9%
- Parliament votes at second reading amendments to Constitution on the judiciary
- Over 40% of Bulgarians shop online at least once a month
- Bulgaria has own program for education and innovation
- Anti-corruption education to be introduced in Bulgarian universities
- Average Wage in Bulgaria Ranges from BGN 1193 in Sofia to BGN 593 in Vidin
- Nine Banks Show Interest in Lending up to EUR 650 M to Bulgaria’s BEH
- Car Thefts in Bulgaria Register 9 % Increase in 2015
- Tourism Minister: 4.5 Million Foreigners Visited Bulgaria Last Summer
- Bulgarian FM: Europe Has to Begin Repatriation of Economic Migrants
- C-Bank Governor: Bulgaria's Banking System Is Stable
- David Cameron in Sofia: It is important that we destroy ISIS
- 100,000 fewer students in Bulgaria for past six years
- Bulgarian Energy Exchange starts functioning in test mode on December 11
- Bulgaria’s population dwindles by 0.6% in 2014
- Software engineers training to get boosted
- HIV positive in Bulgaria total 2247
- Bulgarian PM Calls on Mayors to Increase Taxes Due to Rising Security Expenditures
- Bulgaria backs Nord Stream gas pipeline expansion
- Consumption of Illicit Cigarettes in Bulgaria Registers Decrease
- PM Borisov: Bulgaria is not against Nord Stream project
- Bulgaria’s foreign policy is extremely unbalanced and intended to confrontation: BSP leader
- Bulgaria places third in ageing population ranking
- Bulgaria’s Business Climate Worsens in November
- Bulgarians to Have Four Long Weekends in 2016
- Limiting Bulgarian army dependence on countries outside EU and NATO is right, Defence Minister says
- Bulgaria has not opposed Nord Stream expansion, says Energy Minister Petkova
- EU Commission President Says Schengen Is “Partly Comatose”
- Bulgarian contingent is back from Afghanistan
- No direct threat for Bulgaria over Moscow-Ankara conflict: interior minister
- On average 1000 medical nurses leave Bulgaria annually
- Delay of MiG agreement for technical reasons: Defense Minister Nikolay Nenchev
- Most poor Bulgarians are people with elementary or lower education
- Flat population growth is most optimistic scenario for Bulgaria
- Bulgarians Least Happy with Accomodation in EU Despite High Home Ownership Rate
- Bulgarian Socialist Party only oppositional force in Bulgaria with clear course of actions: leader
- Stara Zagora
- Veliko Tarnovo